Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Madness Mayhem



This will be the second year I filled out a March Madness bracket and despite the fact that I know nothing about college basketball, I kind of love doing it. Following along is actually really fun, especially when you have money and pride on the line.

My picking strategy, however, is not based on research or knowledge or even watching any of the teams play. I pick based on which mascot name strikes me as funnier. And there are some classics. How can you root against the Zips? Or the Boilermakers? Or the Golden Gophers?

In instances when two teams with boring names were playing each other (i.e. eagles vs. wildcats), I would just picture a real cage match and decide who I think would win (the Eagle, every time).

In the end, I have the West Virginia Mountaineers and the Syracuse Orange (How cute is Otto the Orange?) playing for the big prize. But I won't lie. It was hard to say goodbye to my beloved, gelatinous, towel mascot — the Western Kentucky Hilltopper.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Who the hell beat the Hilltopper, anyway? And how?