Friday, October 3, 2008

Step 1: We Can Have Lots of Fun



Well, an 18-year-old wrong has been righted. I have finally seen the New Kids On the Block in concert. When I was a, um, 4-year-old, I planned on marrying that tap-dancing fool, Joey McIntyre, and living a life on the road supporting my man. Alas, it didn't work out, but when Jamie and I were in high school, we rediscovered her old NKOTB tapes and watched them, full of joyous nostalgia. Now, ten years after THAT, we saw them in D.C., surrounded by a sea of thirtysomething cougars wearing shirts they bought in 1988.

It was, seriously, the sweetest thing ever. There was a palpable feeling in the crowd, and even on the stage, that all of us were escaping the burdens of adulthood (no one there was younger than 23) and for one night, reliving our childhood. The New Kids completely played to this, wisely, even doing the original choreography for "The Right Stuff," "Didn't I," and "Step by Step." It was perfect. Sure, it may be hard for Joey to hit those notes, but boy he seemed to have fun. Donnie, no joke, wiped tears away as he thanked the crowd.

And it certainly didn't hurt that I think they look WAY better now that they're thirtysomething husbands and fathers:


1 comment:

Cassia L Rainne said...

OMG... that was such a walk down memory lane...a Step by Step walk.